The Jordan Times
AMMAN — Foreign ministers from the Union for the Mediterranean on Monday issued a joint statement welcoming UN Security Council Resolution 2803 and the plan presented by US President Donald Trump to end the war in Gaza.
The statement followed the 10th UfM Regional Forum in Barcelona, co-chaired by Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs Ayman Safadi and EU High Representative for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy Kaja Kallas.
The statement stressed the need to maintain the Gaza ceasefire, ensure unhindered delivery of humanitarian aid, and move ahead with the second phase of the proposed plan.
It also underscored the importance of launching a “genuine” political process aimed at achieving a just and lasting peace based on the two-state solution.
The statement voiced deep concern over escalating tensions in the occupied West Bank and rejected Israel’s unilateral measures, including annexation [of land] and attempts to impose sovereignty over Palestinian territories.
The foreign ministers also opposed any attempts to forcibly displace Palestinians from Gaza or the occupied West Bank, condemning settlement construction and expansion and settler violence.
The ministers called for respecting the legal and historical status quo at Islamic and Christian holy sites in Jerusalem, highlighting the importance of the Hashemite custodianship.
The forum also welcomed Syria’s full reintegration into the union and expressed support for the Syrian government’s efforts to rebuild the country in a way that preserves its security, stability, unity, and sovereignty.
The ministers backed the full implementation of the joint Jordanian-Syrian-American roadmap to resolve the crisis in Sweida and stabilise southern Syria.
The statement reaffirmed support for Lebanon’s security, stability, and sovereignty, and for government efforts to empower state institutions, restrict weapons to state authorities, and uphold the ceasefire.
Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Ayman Safadi on Friday co-chaired the 10th Regional Forum of the Union for the Mediterranean (UfM) in Barcelona, alongside EU High Representative for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy and Vice-President of the European Commission Kaja Kallas.
The forum, hosted by Spanish Foreign Minister José Manuel Albares, brought together foreign ministers, senior officials and representatives of European and regional institutions.
Speaking at the opening ceremony, Safadi said that the forum came at a critical time as regional crises deepen, underscoring the need for serious engagement between Mediterranean partners to address shared challenges and advance security, stability and cooperation across both shores of the Mediterranean.
Marking the 30th anniversary of the Barcelona Process, Safadi said that it was "regrettable" that the promise of peace and prosperity envisaged in 1995 had been undermined by a "brutal occupation" and two years of "genocide in Gaza".
He warned that dangerous escalations continue in the occupied West Bank, citing the recent displacement of 32,000 Palestinians, ongoing settlement expansion, land confiscations and growing economic restrictions that erode prospects for peace and undermine a two-state solution.
Safadi reaffirmed that the two-state solution remains the only viable path to a just and comprehensive peace, in line with international law and the Arab Peace Initiative. He also welcomed Syria’s return to the UfM, stressing the need to support reconstruction efforts that uphold the country's unity, sovereignty and territorial integrity.
On the sidelines of the forum, Safadi participated in the ministerial launch of the "Mediterranean Charter" with Kallas, EU Commissioner for the Mediterranean Dubravka Šuica and officials from EU and southern Mediterranean states.
He said the charter provides an important operational framework for strengthening cooperation, noting that Jordan will actively contribute to the upcoming action plan to translate its commitments into tangible results.
Following the forum, Safadi held a joint press conference with Kallas, Albares, Šuica and UfM Secretary-General Nasser Kamel. He said the UfM is entering a new phase of reform aimed at delivering practical development and cooperation initiatives, and building stronger economic and cultural ties across the Mediterranean.
Turning to Gaza, Safadi called for intensified efforts to secure a ceasefire, describing it as the first step of the peace plan announced by the US administration and endorsed by regional partners. He stressed the need to stop the killing and ensure uninterrupted humanitarian access, enable UN agencies to distribute aid, and prevent any measures that could lead to the displacement of Palestinians.
He warned that Israeli policies risk triggering an explosion in the West Bank, pointing to daily settler attacks, destruction of Palestinian property and land seizures.
Safadi condemned the recent killing of two Palestinians who had surrendered to Israeli forces, describing it as a "war crime" and a reflection of impunity. He urged UfM members to speak clearly based on international and humanitarian law.
Safadi also criticised the recent Israeli attack on the Syrian village of Beit Jinn, calling it an unjustified escalation and a violation of international norms. He highlighted the need to support Lebanon’s sovereignty, reconstruction efforts and institutional stability, and to preserve the ceasefire to avoid further regional escalation.