AFP
DUBAI — The United Arab Emirates on Tuesday said drones that targeted its nuclear plant last week came from Iraq, from where Iranian-backed groups have launched several attacks since the Middle East war began.
On Sunday, an unclaimed drone struck an electrical generator near the Arab world's only nuclear power plant in Barakah in the emirate of Abu Dhabi, triggering a fire but causing no injuries or radiation leak. Two other drones had been intercepted.
Barakah is near the Saudi border and Qatar and the strike raised fears of consequences across the Gulf.
"As part of the ongoing investigation into the blatant attack on the Barakah Nuclear Power Plant on May 17, 2026, technical tracking and monitoring confirmed that the three drones... all originated from Iraqi territory," the Emirati defence ministry said.
Authorities intercepted six drones that also came from Iraq and "attempted to target civilian and vital areas" in the past 48 hours, the ministry added.
Iraqi authorities had already condemned the attack on Barakah before Abu Dhabi announced where the drones came from.
Iran-backed groups in Iraq have not claimed any strikes since the truce came into place, though Gulf countries have reported attacks from Iraq.
But the nuclear site had been off limits until Sunday.
The Barakah Nuclear Power Plant is the country's largest source of electricity and produces around a quarter of national power.
On Sunday, Saudi Arabia had reported intercepting drones that came from Iraq, while Baghdad said its defence systems had not detected any drones launched from its territory toward the kingdom.