Wednesday 22nd of January 2020 Sahafi.jo | Ammanxchange.com
  • Last Update
    03-Jan-2020

Top Iranian Commander Qassem Soleimani Killed in Iraq Airstrike

 

AFP

 

Iraqi TV and three Iraqi officials said Friday that Iranian Gen. Qassim Soleimani, the head of Iran’s elite Quds Force, has been killed in an airstrike at Baghdad’s international airport.
 
The officials said the strike also killed Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis, the deputy commander of Iran-backed militias known as the Popular Mobilization Forces.
 
An official with the Iran-backed paramilitary force earlier said that seven people were killed in the strike, blaming the United States.
 
The official said the dead included the force's airport protocol officer, identifying him as Mohammed Reda.
 
A security official confirmed that seven people were killed in the attack on the airport, describing it as an airstrike. Earlier, Iraq’s Security Media Cell, which releases information regarding Iraqi security, said Katyusha rockets landed near the airport's cargo hall, killing several people and setting two cars on fire.
 
There was no immediate comment from the U.S.
 
The security official said the bodies of those killed in the attack were burned and difficult to identify. The official added that Reda may have been at the airport to pick up a group of “high-level” visitors who had arrived from a neighboring country. He declined to provide more information.
 
The attack came amid tensions with the United States after a New Year's Eve attack by Iran-backed militias on the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad. The two-day embassy attack which ended Wednesday prompted U.S. President Donald Trump to order about 750 U.S. soldiers deployed to the Middle East.
 
The breach at the embassy followed U.S. airstrikes on Sunday that killed 25 fighters of the Iran-backed militia in Iraq, the Kataeb Hezbollah. The U.S. military said the strikes were in retaliation for last week’s killing of an American contractor in a rocket attack on an Iraqi military base that the U.S. blamed on the militia.
 
U.S. officials have suggested they were prepared to engage in further retaliatory attacks in Iraq.
 
“The game has changed,” Defense Secretary Mark Esper said Thursday, telling reporters that violent acts by Iran-backed Shiite militias in Iraq — including the rocket attack on Dec. 27 that killed one American — will be met with U.S. military force.
 
He said the Iraqi government has fallen short of its obligation to defend its American partner in the attack on the U.S. embassy.
 
 

Latest News

 

Most Read Articles